Re: Install on Orange Pi Plus eMMC work but no reboot

Le 07. 10. 16 à 03:18, Ben Hutchings a écrit :
On Fri, 2016-10-07 at 01:44 +0200, Jean-Christian de Rivaz wrote:
Did you realize that SD card and eMMC uses both exactly the same
signaling and controller on all processors, not only on the Allwinner
family ?
This is not true.  There are many signalling modes for SD and eMMC, few
of which work for both of them.  As a result there are some controllers
that only support one or the other (e.g. in R-Car SoCs).

Did you seriously pretend that a single silicon chip uses two different on chip MMC controllers making them unable to support a SD card or an eMMC on only one of his controller ? Please provides a link to it, I would be certain to never use it.

Stupid boards need stupid recovery procedure anyway, regardless of the
operating system. This is not a Debian problem. Or least Debian should
not try to officially support broken boards.
[...]

Just as all software is buggy, all hardware is buggy.  So yes, we
should try to support broken boards, so far as we can.

I definitely don't agree on this kind of argument. All chips and boards are not equally buggy, far far from that in practice.

The market is actually flooded so fast with new boards that's is already a challenge to support good and safe boards before there get replaced by a new generation of board. I see no advantage in loosing time to support broken boards and delaying support of good boards in the process.

Regards,
Jean-Christian