Re: Install on Orange Pi Plus eMMC work but no reboot

On Fri, 2016-10-07 at 01:44 +0200, Jean-Christian de Rivaz wrote:
> Le 07. 10. 16 à 00:30, Karsten Merker a écrit :
>
> > So the boot order might not be problematic on the Orange Pi Plus, but
> > it can definitely be problematic on A64-based systems and it might
> > possibly be problematic on other H3-based boards.
>

> Did you realize that SD card and eMMC uses both exactly the same
> signaling and controller on all processors, not only on the Allwinner
> family ?

This is not true.  There are many signalling modes for SD and eMMC, few
of which work for both of them.  As a result there are some controllers
that only support one or the other (e.g. in R-Car SoCs).

> If a board designer is stupid enough to connect the eMMC
> instead of the SD card on the controller looked first by the on chip
> ROM, then it's not an argument to not support all the others boards that
> did it the right way.

I can agree with that.

> Stupid boards need stupid recovery procedure anyway, regardless of the
> operating system. This is not a Debian problem. Or least Debian should
> not try to officially support broken boards.
[...]

Just as all software is buggy, all hardware is buggy.  So yes, we
should try to support broken boards, so far as we can.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Every program is either trivial or else contains at least one bug