Re: debian installer and local users

Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> writes:

> Quoting peteman@bofanez.org (peteman@bofanez.org):
>> Thanks for the tip Christian. preseeding is pretty awesome, and I usually
>> use it, but sometimes you have to do a one-off.
>>
>> I just realized that I was using the testing installer, not stable. I'm
>> going to rerun the install, and i suspect the step will be optional in
>> stable.
>

> Well, the step is optional in all versions of the installer. It hasn't
> change for years. However, with the default install, you won't see the
> question whether to create a normal user or not...you'll be just
> prompted for the user information.
>
> That's because the "Create unprivileged user?" question is asked at
> medium priority by debconf and the default priority is
> "high". Therefore, the question is skipped, with a default answer of
> "Yes".
>
> In order to get the question, you need to use the installer in
> "expert" mode (that lowers the debconf priority to "low" and will then
> get you into a bunch of questions)....or preseed
> "passwd/make-user=False" at the installer's boot prompt.

The comment about "preseeding is pretty awesome ..., but ..." makes me
suspect that you think that one has to preseed the whole install, with a
comprehensive preseed file.

Just in case it's not completely clear from what Christian said, it is
also possible to add individual preseed settings on the kernel command
line.

This is done by hitting TAB when looking at the initial boot menu, and
then typing onto the end of the kernel command line that is revealed at
the bottom of the screen, e.g.:

  passwd/make-user=False

and then RETURN to boot.

Cheers, Phil.