Re: debian installer and local users

Quoting peteman@bofanez.org (peteman@bofanez.org):
> Thanks for the tip Christian. preseeding is pretty awesome, and I usually
> use it, but sometimes you have to do a one-off.
>
> I just realized that I was using the testing installer, not stable. I'm
> going to rerun the install, and i suspect the step will be optional in
> stable.

Well, the step is optional in all versions of the installer. It hasn't
change for years. However, with the default install, you won't see the
question whether to create a normal user or not...you'll be just
prompted for the user information.

That's because the "Create unprivileged user?" question is asked at
medium priority by debconf and the default priority is
"high". Therefore, the question is skipped, with a default answer of
"Yes".

In order to get the question, you need to use the installer in
"expert" mode (that lowers the debconf priority to "low" and will then
get you into a bunch of questions)....or preseed
"passwd/make-user=False" at the installer's boot prompt.