Re: Jigdo (was "Putting It All On a Stick")

On Mon, Jan 04, 2016 at 06:00:55PM +1300, philip wrote:
>On Mon, 2016-01-04 at 01:10 +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 11:50:36AM +1300, philip wrote:
>> >
>> > I discovered the hard way that debian-cd does not produce a fully
>> > functional image suitable for loading on a stick and that some
>> > changes
>> > and additions had to be made to the finish-install udeb.
>> >
>> > If anyone is interested in the details please contact me.
>>
>> Hi Phil,
>>
>> I'd be interested to hear what's wrong there, definitely!
>
>The initial installation works well.
>
>But if a flash drive is to contain a massive amount of software then it
>is reasonable to expect that the user will want to use the stick to
>install extra software, herein lies the problem.  The stick has to be
>mounted by hand.
>
>I have developed a scheme that modifies the installed system at the end
>of the installation process so that it will automatically mount the
>installation stick as an optical disc when it is inserted.

Hmm, OK. Yes - I was wondering if there was anything new you'd
found. I'm pondering about newer/better ways to describe a Debian
archive so that machines will automatically pick them up without the
hacks, or needing the stiff G&T... :-)

We don't need no education.
We don't need no thought control.