Re: Jigdo (was "Putting It All On a Stick")

On Mon, 2016-01-04 at 01:10 +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 11:50:36AM +1300, philip wrote:
> > On Wed, 2015-12-30 at 11:09 -0800, Rick Thomas wrote:
> > > It would be kinda cool if the installer could deal with multiple
> > > DVDs
> > > at once:
> > >
> > > Allow people with two or more optical drives to put DVD-1 in one
> > > of
> > > them and DVD-2 in the second (and so on, if necessary/possible)
> > > and
> > > have the installation “just work” with no swapping of disks in
> > > drives.
> > >
> > > Then (the really cool part) if that could be extended to allow
> > > multiple .iso images (possibly located in a separate partition on
> > > the
> > > same USB stick we booted the installer from) to be mounted as if
> > > they
> > > were actual DVD drives and continue as above…
> > >
> > > I have no idea at all what it would take to implement this, it’s
> > > Just
> > > a thought!
> > >
> > > Enjoy!
> > > Rick
> > >
> > > PS: Would a wish-list bug against debian-installer be
> > > appropriate?
> >
> > Hi,
> > 	I have been pushing for a complete archive on a usb stick since
> > old stable (forgotten is name) and nothing has happened so far.
> >
> > In my frustration I have produced my own and the jigdo's can be
> > found
> > at http://www.copyleft.co.nz/download.html
> >
> > The size of the image is ~60 GB and needs to be loaded onto a 64 GB
> > stick in the usual way.
> >
> > I discovered the hard way that debian-cd does not produce a fully
> > functional image suitable for loading on a stick and that some
> > changes
> > and additions had to be made to the finish-install udeb.
> >
> > If anyone is interested in the details please contact me.
>
> Hi Phil,
>
> I'd be interested to hear what's wrong there, definitely!

The initial installation works well.

But if a flash drive is to contain a massive amount of software then it
is reasonable to expect that the user will want to use the stick to
install extra software, herein lies the problem.  The stick has to be
mounted by hand.

I have developed a scheme that modifies the installed system at the end
of the installation process so that it will automatically mount the
installation stick as an optical disc when it is inserted.

There are people in the Aussie outback that use the 60 MB stick.

As with all my solutions a stiff G&T is recommended before examining
this one.

The modifications to debian-cd CONF.sh

add
 –modification-date=2732101000000000"
export i386_MKISOFS_OPTS="-as mkisofs -r -checksum_algorithm_iso \
md5,sha1”

add
–modification-date=2764101000000000"
export amd64_MKISOFS_OPTS="-as mkisofs -r \
-checksum_algorithm_iso md5,sha1”

The modification date of the usb stick is read as the UUID of the
stick.
2732 (the supposed year)  indicates a 32bit architecture.  2764
indicates a 64 bit architecture.
The final 00 indicates x86_xx.

The line
UUID=2764-10-10-00-00-00-00 \ media/cdrom0   auto
 defaults,auto,user,ro,nofail   0    0
is added to fstab

The file99-mount.rules   is copied to  /etc/udev/rules.d
this file consists of the line
SUBSYSTEM=="block", RUN+="/bin/mount UUID=2764-10-10-00-00-00-00"

The finish-install udeb has been high-jacked and has been modified to
implement these additions.  This example uses 64 bit.  2732 would be
used for 32 bit.

I can send a copy of
'finish-install_3.3stick-64_all' to anyone who is interested.

Phil.

              +64 3 488 2818      Mobile 027 663 4453
   philipc@copyleft.co.nz - personal.    info@copyleft.co.nz - business