Re: Possible bug in d-i handling of swap partition

On 11/28/2016 6:31 AM, ChrisBell@gigl wrote:
On Monday 28 Nov 2016 04:40:32 Richard Owlett wrote:
I have two use cases which demonstrate the problem.

First Environment:
I have a laptop exclusively dedicated to being a test platform of
various Debian configurations [Jessie 8.6.0 currently]. I have
limited connectivity, therefore all installs are done from a
purchased set of DVDs. At any time there may exist up to 4
installs available, each in its own partition. As only one
install is active at any time, a single swap partition should be
adequate.

*HOWEVER* each install "touches" the swap partition changing its
UUID.
This causes a problem with using the chronologically earlier in
stall. Systemd looks for a swap partition with a specific UUID.
The triggered diagnostic takes ~2 minutes while I'm
w-a-i-t--n---g for the system to boot. I've NOT investigated
whether or not the system actually finds and uses the intended
swap partition or not. For THAT PARTICULAR LAPTOP I doubt there
are any consequences as for my particular use I doubt any use of
swap occurs. I suspect a workaround might be editing /etc/fstab
all previous installs when a new install is done.

Second Environment:
On a second machine [the laptop being out of service due to
hardware problems] I attempted to install Debian to a USB flash
drive for demonstrating Debian to friends on their machines and
testing used machines before purchasing.

The was no problem until the partitioning phase. It allowed me to
create a ext2 partition on the flash drive for use a / . It
allowed me to create a second partition and to designate it as a
swap partition.

*HOWEVER* the confirmation screen about writing changes to disk
essentially said it was going to *TRASH* the existing install of
Debian on the machines hard-drive by formatting the hard disk's
swap partition [i.e. changing its UUID].

I see no conceivable reason to mess with a perfectly fine install
when installing to an unrelated device.

Thank you

I often have more than one installation and each new installation includes an
unchanged /srv partition and lists each previous installation as another
available partition unchanged but under an amended name, so instead of / it
may be /wheezyroot. I can then edit the previous /etc/fstab to match the new
uuids and make all bootable. I also find the shared /srv partition useful.
Chris Bell

I don't follow your description. Likely I'm missing something "obvious" ;/
I believe you are addressing "First Environment:".
My disk is organized as:
/dev/sda1     A fairly stable (for me) Debian install
/dev/sda2 swap - partition choice a historical accident but no reason to change
Remaining Debian installs are in logical partitions >= /dev/sda5 .

I follow the defaults as to putting / et al in a single physical partition.

Thank you for responding.