Re: Booting Debian on NVMe Dirive with killer E2400 ethernet next to Impossible!!!!

On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 07:46:03PM -0700, Humberto Hassey wrote:
> Finally got it to work!! here is the procedure, I hope it helps someone
> else:
>
> Step 1 start the installation with the Debian DVD and go through it unitl
> it sais Grub failed
>
> Step 2 in a separate USB memory and with a working debian system do:
>
> sudo apt-get -t jessie-backports download grub-efi-amd64
> sudo apt-get -t jessie-backports download grub2-common
> sudo apt-get -t jessie-backports download grub-efi-amd64-bin
> sudo apt-get -t jessie-backports download efibootmngr
> sudo apt-get -t jessie-backports download libefvar0
>
> sudo apt-get -t jessie-backports download linux-base
> sudo apt-get -t jessie-backports download Initramfs-tools
> sudo apt-get -t jessie-backports download linux-image-4XXXXXXX (i dont
> remember
> just pick your 4.x image)

Why did it need an updated linux-image?  Was that NVMe related or video
related or something else?  The only machine I tried NVMe boot on had
a new enough CPU that video had problems with 3.16, and of course being
I used the testing installer it already had a newer kernel.

I could see the grub installer getting new regexes added in jessie.
I doubt adding a newer kernel to the installer is considered an option.

> Step3 on the system that you are installing go into a terminal
>
> cd /target
> mount --rbind /sys sys/
> mount --rbind /dev dev/
> mount --rbind /run run/
> chroot . /bin/bash
>
> Step 4 insert your usb and do cd /var/ ls and figure out its name usually
> /dev/sdb1
>
> Step 5 mount your usb with the packages
> mkdir ./cosas
> mount /dev/sdb1 ./cosas
> cd cosas
>
> Step 6 start installing the linux kernel packages, then the grub starting
> in this order
> linux-base
> initramfs-tools
> linux-imagexxxxx
> libefvar0
> efibootmngr
> grub-efi-amd64-bin
> grub2common
> grubefi-amd64
>
> Step 7
> exit the console by typing exit
>
> step 8
> finish the installation
>
> step9
> Reboot
>
> step 10 Enjoy.

I am wondering if going to a shell, editing the grub installer to update
the disk names and then continuing (without adding any new packages)
would be sufficient.

--
Len Sorensen