Re: Booting Debian on NVMe Dirive with killer E2400 ethernet next to Impossible!!!!

On Sun, 2016-10-23 at 22:26 -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 01:43:49PM -0700, Humberto Hassey wrote:
> > Hello I am a Debian user and just bought a nice laptop from system 76, I
> > wiped ubuntu and proceed to install Debian, well it turns our that Debian
> > does not recognize my network card, and the Grub packed on the installer
> > does not recognize the NVMe drive correctly, so I can not boot, nor connect
> > to the internet in order to download the grub-efi from backports..
> >
> > I tried getting a shell from the install DVD and chrooting into the
> > installation to install the previously downloaded grub-efi-amd64 and
> > linux-image 4.7xxx from backports, but the installation fails saying there
> > are unmet dependencies...
>

> On new hardware, you might be better of trying stretch instead, which
> is probably only about half a year or so from release anyhow.
>
> I know NVMe install works, because I tried it, with the testing (stretch)
> installer.  Jessie does not support it, at least last I checked.

That really ought to be fixed in jessie, if it doesn't require big
changes to grub (and whatever else).  I already did a stable update of
initramfs-tools to make it handle nvme devices properly.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
For every complex problem