Re: flash-kernel: arm64 doesn't have bootz

On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 02:34:31PM -0700, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> [2016-07-30 17:14]:
> > At that point, we might want to look into some sort of templating; on
> > several of the platforms it could basically re-use most of
> > uboot-generic, by setting compatibility variables for the old
> > versions.
> >
> > With the recent odroid bootscript, I cut-and-pasted u-boot-generic into
> > it, adding some compatibility variables at the top, but the bulk of the
> > logic is identical.
>
> I think I have a board like this, too.  I cannot assume that users
> have access to u-boot to set environments and I believe some variables
> are missing.
>
> I see that you added some specific bootscripts to flash-kernel.
>
> But I wonder if it would make sense instead to do that templating in
> d-i: have one generic boot script and then prepend some board specific
> code where needed to set (and save) the variables.  This way, we make
> sure the variables are set.  As a side effect, flash-kernel could use
> one single boot script for all (or most) devices.
>
> What do you think?

I think that keeping the platform-specific boot script generation
handled by flash-kernel is the more flexible approach.
Generating a compatibility boot script fragment within d-i during
the installation process means that this is a one-time operation,
i.e. it cannot be easily adjusted during the lifetime of the
system, which might be necessary sometimes.  With the boot
scripts generated from within flash-kernel, we can easily perform
any necessary adjustments with a simple flash-kernel package
update.

Regards,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der