Re: Install on Orange Pi Plus eMMC work but no reboot

On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 11:28:07PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> Is that actually controlled by straps, though?  For the TI SoC I've
> been working with recently, when the boot device is set to eMMC the ROM
> code will look for the SPL in:
>
> 1. boot area
> 2. fixed offsets in main area
> 3. file named 'MLO' in first partition (MBR, FAT)
>
> in that order.

When I read the documentation, that bit was rather incomplete, so I
don't know for sure.  I think you are right that it tries them all.

Certainly the support for GPT and ext2 were not in the documentation
and was determined by giving it a try and being surprised it worked,
which the TI people then confirmed.  So MLO can be on FAT or ext2
partition with that partition being on an MBR or GPT setup.

I prefer the boot area (and is what the product I worked on uses), with
option 3 being my second choice;  I do not like option 2 at all since
it is incompatible with GPT.

--
Len Sorensen