Re: Debian kernel 4.7.2-1 build on Sid and Jessie fails

On Sat, Sep 3, 2016 at 10:30 AM, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 2016-09-02 at 16:49 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > On Fri, 2016-09-02 at 03:35 -0700, Jose R Rodriguez wrote:
> > >
> > > Niltze, all!
> > >
> > > Currently running Reiser4-patched kernel 4.7 built from pristine
> > > source upstream:
> > >
> > > Linux mictlantecuhtli 4.7.0.tezcatlipoca #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Aug 10
> > > 05:04:17 PDT 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> > >
> > > On the other hand, I have experienced multiple issues building
> > > Debian'ized kernel 4.7.2-1 -- first building on Jessie modified for
> > > GCC 4.9;
> > >  and then attempting build on Jessie-built GCC 5.3. And finally I
> > > attempted the build on Debian Unstable and it failed, as well.
> > > Below are the offending sections -- which, by the way -- roughly
> > > correspond in all instances of Debian and GCC:
> > [...]
> >
> > This happens if you invoke debian/rules directly and not through dpkg-
> > buildpackage.
>
> Rather, it can happen in some circumstances, but...
>
> > debian/rules.real does:
> >
> >     ifdef OVERRIDE_HOST_TYPE
> >       CROSS_COMPILE := $(OVERRIDE_HOST_TYPE)-
> >     else ifneq ($(DEB_BUILD_ARCH),$(DEB_HOST_ARCH))
> >       CROSS_COMPILE := $(DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE)-
> >     else
> >       CROSS_COMPILE :=
> >     endif
> >
> > So the assumption is that all those architecture variables, or none,
> > are defined.  dpkg-buildpackage does define them all.
> >
> > However, debian/rules does:
> >
> >     DEB_HOST_ARCH := $(shell dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_ARCH)
> >
> > and does not define any other architecture variables.
>
> ...variable definitions in debian/rules don't automatically propagate
> to debian/rules.real, so this doesn't explain the failure.  And
> although I have seen this failure myself, I can't reproduce it now.
>
> > We should probably include /usr/share/dpkg/architecture.mk in
> > debian/rules instead.
>
> I now think it should be included in debian/rules.real.  However, until
> I have a way to reproduce the problem, I'm not going to attempt a fix.
>
> Ben.
>
> --
> Ben Hutchings
> Once a job is fouled up, anything done to improve it makes it worse.

I much appreciate your hints, Ben. The fault was mine. After a couple
of days of struggle, I modified debian/rules.real by inserting a
couple of extra directives and compared the generated debian/control
file output with previous ones - which provided me relevant insight to
correct my mistake and generate required *.udebs for d-i. Thank you
again, Ben.

Best Professional Regard.

--
Jose R R