Re: Thinking about a "jessie and a half" release

On Mon, Jul 04, 2016 at 03:12:34PM +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> (2016-07-04):
>> There's something I've been pondering for a while, along with some
>> other folks - it might be useful to do a "jessie and a half" release,
>> similarly to what we did in the etch days. That's *basically* just
>> like a normal jessie release, but with a few key updates:
>>
>>  * backports kernel
>
>That's a given.
>
>>  * rebuilt d-i to match that kernel
>
>You know there are patches around for that.

ACK. :-)

>>  * X drivers
>
>I don't see backports for them.

I installed a backport Intel xserver driver over the weekend at the
installfest, and it helped the user in question.

>>  * ... (other things that might be needed for consistency)
>>
>> all rolled up with a small installer image build (netinst, maybe
>> DVD#1).
>
>That'd probably make it easy to decide how to resolve open questions
>with my "d-i vs. backported kernel" patches.

Cool.

>> Is anybody else interested in helping? Thoughts/comments?
>
>Questions:
> 1. Is it going to pick pieces from backports only? (See X question
>    above.)

That's my current plan, unless people have good arguments otherwise.

> 2. Does it have to be called "jessie and a half"? (How much is the
>    concept understood across users? Wouldn't it be a better idea to
>    squeeze the "backports" concept into the name somehow?)

I'm not attached to any particular name. Something like "Jessie
Backport August 2016" would work for me too - suggest a better name?

> 3. What about security support once the system is installed? (Which
>    can be answered along with 1., I suppose.)

Most of the core packages I'd expect to use in backports are seeing
regular updates AFAICS. That's probably enough?

You lock the door
And throw away the key
There's someone in my head but it's not me