Re: Unable to install Debian jessie

On Saturday 04 Jun 2016 12:53:30 philippw2001 wrote:

> Dear development team, I have a problem using the Debian installer.I was so

> impressed of raspian - I had only been using windows before - that I

> decided to install Debian Jessie on my Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop for

> its old windows XP was so slow that even the clock hanged up. So I moved a

> minimal iso to a USB stick using the free rufus app. When I then booted

> the USB stick I got to the install screen and selected 'install '. Then

> suddenly my screen turned black and it didn't seem as if my laptop did

> anything. I waited a little and tried connecting an external screen, but

> this also stayed black. I turned my laptop off and retried with installing

> graphically, but there were two messages - don't ask me what they were, I

> only remember it were no error messages - and the screen turned black

> again. What did I do wrong? Yours sincerely, Philipp Weinbrenner

> PS:  please don't mind my bad English - I'm just a student from Germany.

Laptops often require non-free hardware drivers, so you may find one of the unofficial installers could help, see

ftp://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

Another minor release update is scheduled for this weekend, and should be ready for download within a few days.

Unfortunately some non-free hardware drivers do not work with older hardware.

Chris Bell