Re: touchpad

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 10:21:16PM -0400, MY wrote:
> Dear Team,
>
> I apologise for writing to the list,  as this is very minor,  but since
> I had thought linux 4.5 would support touchpad ELAN1000:00 04F3:0401,
>  I was very surprised to find a motionless pointer upon trying the live
> non free firmware iso.   This being "unofficial" iso,  I then used the
> official cd, as graphical install, with the same result.  Did not
> complete install as I am drowning in work this week, but have seen this
> with most current install media from Arch to Ubuntu.
>
> Also,  and I have no idea why this would be true,  but, since
> purchasing a bleeding edge laptop,  I have tried many distros with
> kernels greater than 4.2 which would appear to support hardware  and
> one behaviour is always the same,  and I am sure you are all aware of
> it,  but I wish merely to re-iterate it:
>
> the command shutdown causes reboot rather than halt,  and this has been
> entirely independent of distro or installer type,  being well moaned
> about in fora everywhere.
>

> As to the touchpad,  the hid controller seems to prevent the
> recognition of the actual physical touchpad as a real device,  and this
> has been true in all live trials as well as my current ubuntu install.
>  (I have made a kludge to type quickly....)
>
> If there is anything I can send you to help,  please let me know,

For starters name and shame the vendor that told
you "Yes, it has full Linux support".
That is based upon asking before buying.

Consider returning the laptop.
Make the problem a problem of the vendor.

> and again, accept my apologies for the disturbance.
>
> All good wishes,

Thank you.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
Who could have ignored the posting
Who could have asked what he asked ten years ago
 - What is the output of lspci
 - What is the output of lsusb
Who could told that d-boot@l.d.o is about development of Debian-Installer
Doing a "reply-to-list" to check if original poster is subscribed.
Adding URL http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html