Re: Issues with Installation?

On 22 April 2016 at 20:47, Jen Longstreet <chanatlongstreet@gmail.com>
wrote:
> There are no error messages...it goes as if it will boot up but instead
> of
> booting, it goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor...this is any
> time
> after the installation this occurs...I can provide a short video of that
> can take using my phone if It would help you understand better

It looks like it isn't making it to GRUB; GRUB is the bootloader that
lets your BIOS load the Linux kernel that Debian uses 99% of the time.
To provide a recommendation on how to fix this I'll need more info.
Could you please boot your installation media, and select rescue at
the boot menu?  Alternatively, type rescue at the boot: prompt.  It
will ask you some questions to find out where on your hard drive
Debian is installed, and will then boot into it.  From there you will
be able to fix GRUB.  But we're not there yet.

The first thing I need to know is if you only have one hard drive, if
there are no other operating systems installed, and if you're using
the MBR or EFI bootloader.  From the rescue shell, you can get this
info with the command:

parted -l (and press enter)  <- this will show everything at once.  If
the text is legible, a photo is fine.

or

fdisk -l /dev/sda (press enter)
fdisk -l /dev/sdb (...)

If you get a graphical environment, then you can install gparted, or
use the disk tool or partition manager that is already installed.

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with the command line you can
use this live boot disk (
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gparted/gparted-live-0.25.0-3-i686.iso
).  Just boot it, find and open gparted (the graphical version of
parted), and take a photo of what it finds.  Also, in the upper-left
of the window there will be a button that specifies which hard drive
it looks at.  You'll need to click that button and take a second photo
if you have more than one hard drive.

Oh, and actually fixing this is faster than gathering the info you
need to fix it!

Cheers,
Nicholas