Re: removing ftp:// from mirrors lists

On Tue, 19 Apr 2016, William F. Maton Sotomayor wrote:

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016, Peter Palfrader wrote:

talking to several mirror operators on IRC (including fewllow DSA
members), I get the impression that a lot of us would appreciate if we
could deprecate the FTP as a transport protocol.

Maybe an impression, but not necessarily representative.

But it is just simply worse as a file transport protocol.

The latter is also used by the installer, AIUI.  -boot folks, can we
just go ahead and kill the *-ftp: entries from Mirrors.masterlist?
Do you have any objections or do you need some time before we do that?

Well, if the installer actually made the effort to provide an FTP list to select sites much like it does for the HTTP list, then the users wouldn't have to manually type in a long URL for FTP - which discourages people from using FTP. So much for giving the users a fair shot at a choice between protocols.

That's good, the more strongly FTP is discouraged, the better.

Please just go ahead and remove it, I don't think this discussion has any purpose any more.

/Mattias Wadenstein - for the ftp.acc.umu.se team