Re: removing ftp:// from mirrors lists

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 07:10:38AM +0000, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> talking to several mirror operators on IRC (including fewllow DSA
> members), I get the impression that a lot of us would appreciate if we
> could deprecate the FTP as a transport protocol.
>
> I suggest we start by removing ftp:// links from the various mirror
> pages and from the mirror masterlist.
>

> The latter is also used by the installer, AIUI.  -boot folks, can we
> just go ahead and kill the *-ftp: entries from Mirrors.masterlist?
> Do you have any objections or do you need some time before we do that?

FWIW, I don't care about ftp from apt. It'd be moderately useful if few
FTP mirrors would still exist and be discoverable (which the dropping
from masterlist might kill). One can question the security of it as much
as one will but as a curious aside: CMS within z/VM on the mainframe
does not contain a HTTP client, but an FTP client.  Now, one can also
upload the installer via the 3270, but that's a lot slower and harder
to automate.[*]

I would not be surprised if people who run an FTP server today would
continue to do so. The expectation should be that it's not necessary.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

[*] I'm not saying that this is a reason in itself to keep FTP servers
    around for Debian.