Re: removing ftp:// from mirrors lists

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 07:10:38 +0000
Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> talking to several mirror operators on IRC (including fewllow DSA
> members), I get the impression that a lot of us would appreciate if we
> could deprecate the FTP as a transport protocol.

I'm genuinely curious as to the reasons why.  The only real ones I can
think of is the fun of firewalling FTP effectively (but that's not a
massive deal to handle), socket re-use rather than potentially lots of
connections in TIME_WAIT, and I guess HTTP can be more responsive if
fetching a large number of very small files, where the smaller setup
overhead is a win.

I don't see any of those as particularly good reasons to want to fully
stop offering FTP downloads, though.

FTP is, after all, designed for file transfers, and programatically
fetching file lists cleanly from an FTP server is easier than HTTP
mirrors, so is probably easier for e.g. a netboot installer or other
client to make use of, no?

Cheers

Dave P