Re: Blacklisting nouveau on PPC64

On Wed, Apr 06, 2016 at 09:22:44AM +0200, gianluca wrote:
> In this case during install it should be possible to use nouveaufb instead
> of nouveau. It is a minor issue and during install I clearly see no
> performance penalty.
>
> Nope. It looks like to say to people: your server which is running fine
> until now, from now on it is slow, crappy and old, or change the video card.
>
> It is NOT as simple as in the PC x86 World where the VGA Bios is running
> fine. In the powerpc (Apple) world at least ONE GRAPHIC CARD has to be
> OpenFirmware based just to initialize and continue to boot.
>
> In my case I have a Quad G5 Apple with FCode card (OpenFirmware NVIDIA 6600
> Card made for Apple by NVIDIA) and a VGA-Bios based ATI Radeon HD4370. Both
> are working in linux debian unstable with 4.5.0-trunk kernel using:
> radeon.modeset=1 radeon.agpmode=-1 nouveau.modeset=1 during boot in kernel
> cmd line.
>
> During first boot I can see output only on the FCode NVIDIA Card, but during
> booting systemd I can switch both outputs and Xorg is working in Xinerama
> configuration so it uses radeon driver and nouveau driver. I don't know
> about kernel pages. Tomorrow I will check.
>
> To my point of view the 4K-pages should be enabled in a POWERPC64 APPLE
> configuration and 64k-pages are to be enabled in a POWERPC64 NON-APPLE
> configuration. I think this will solve the issue on the NVidia nouveau code.
> Obvioulsy on non-APPLE POWERPC64 machines, the gpu for nouveau it will not
> available at all.
>
> But I think on the IBM Side their Power6/Power7 machines are NOT using any
> graphic card at all, so this should be a no-problem for them.

Our IBM p520 power6 box has this:
0004:02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. Millennium G550 (rev 01)
No idea if it works in linux, we don't use it.

> Can anybody confirm that?

I can't remember if there was graphics on the p710 (ours blew the VRM
a few weeks ago and the replacement is a week away).  I don't think it
has graphics by default.

--
Len Sorensen