Re: Blacklisting nouveau on PPC64

On 04/05/2016 05:32 PM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
On Tue, 2016-04-05 at 17:19 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
[CC me please]

I am trying to find a user-friend solution to :

Apparently the few people with G5+nvidia card out there cannot get
very far with installing debian (4 bugs for nouveau):

https://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/bts-usertags.cgi?tag=ppc64&user=debian
-powerpc%40lists.debian.org

Would it make sense to blacklist 'nouveau' during debian-installer
step ?

In this case during install it should be possible to use nouveaufb instead of nouveau. It is a minor issue and during install I clearly see no performance penalty.

If nouveau doesn't work properly with non-4K pages we should remove it
from those kernel configurations entirely.

Nope. It looks like to say to people: your server which is running fine until now, from now on it is slow, crappy and old, or change the video card.

It is NOT as simple as in the PC x86 World where the VGA Bios is running fine. In the powerpc (Apple) world at least ONE GRAPHIC CARD has to be OpenFirmware based just to initialize and continue to boot.

In my case I have a Quad G5 Apple with FCode card (OpenFirmware NVIDIA 6600 Card made for Apple by NVIDIA) and a VGA-Bios based ATI Radeon HD4370. Both are working in linux debian unstable with 4.5.0-trunk kernel using: radeon.modeset=1 radeon.agpmode=-1 nouveau.modeset=1 during boot in kernel cmd line.

During first boot I can see output only on the FCode NVIDIA Card, but during booting systemd I can switch both outputs and Xorg is working in Xinerama configuration so it uses radeon driver and nouveau driver. I don't know about kernel pages. Tomorrow I will check.

To my point of view the 4K-pages should be enabled in a POWERPC64 APPLE configuration and 64k-pages are to be enabled in a POWERPC64 NON-APPLE configuration. I think this will solve the issue on the NVidia nouveau code. Obvioulsy on non-APPLE POWERPC64 machines, the gpu for nouveau it will not available at all.

But I think on the IBM Side their Power6/Power7 machines are NOT using any graphic card at all, so this should be a no-problem for them.

Can anybody confirm that?

Regards,
--
Eurek s.r.l.                          |