Re: What's the deal with discover*? (was: Processed: pending since 2013?)

Hi,

And thanks for the details.

Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@debian.org> (2016-01-09):
> Not quite sure what the question is, but I'll try to provide some
> background information on discover in the hope that it might answer at
> least part of the question.

It seems a "VCS" word was missing in my earlier mail. Knowing where the
code lives for both discover and discover-data (so we can update them,
see ongoing changes) and whether debian-boot@ is really meant to be the
maintainer were my initial questions.

> The task today of the discover package in the installation phrase is to
> ensure hardware specific packages are installed.  It ensure the software
> needed to configure RAID controllers or talk to smart card readers is
> installed automatically on machines with such hardware.  It provide a
> binary package and a data package, and the data package contain XML
> files with mappings from hardware and kernel modules to packages in the
> archive.  I believe this feature should be replaced with a system
> allowing each package maintainer to announce the hardware supported by a
> given package in the package itself, and have been work on this for a
> few years.
>
> Until a few years ago, this was the only source of mappings from
> hardware to packages in Debian.  Since then, I wrote the isenkram system
> to do a similar task and more.  The isenkram system in addition to the
> simple hardware->package mapping provide a user space daemon that will
> pop up a dialog when new hardware is inserted (think USB dongles), if
> there is some (not yet installed) package in the archive supporting the
> dongle.  The isenkram system was bootstrapped with the information from
> the discover-data, and extended with more information I could find.
> Since a few weeks ago.  The appstream system has been extended with
> hardware information, allowing isenkram since a few weeks ago to fetch
> hardware mappings from appstream.  So far only one package use this in
> Debian (pymissile), but I hope to find time to send bug reports asking
> the other packages to list their supported hardware too.  So far I have
> only done it for one package,
>
> The isenkram-cli package provide two tasksel tasks, which I suspect is a
> better approach for enabling the code to install hardware specific
> packages.  If isenkram-cli is installed before tasksel is executed, the
> user get two options extra in tasksel, installing hardware specific
> packages, and installing firmware packages needed by the currently set
> of loaded kernel modules.
>
> My plan for the next release has been to adjust hw-setup to no longer
> install discover but install isenkram-cli instead, and move the
> hardware->package database from the isenkram package into the appstream
> metadata database.  It is a judgement call when isenkram is good enough
> to replace discover, while still ensuring the Debian installation
> install the hardware specific packages needed to get machines working
> properly.  Perhaps the time has come?
>
> Earlier, the discover package was useful for mapping hardware to kernel
> modules, but this has not been useful for several years as the udev
> system handle this just fine with the mapping tables provided by the
> kernel itself.  Because of this, that part of the discover-data dataset
> has been ignored and can be removed.  This was the original purpose of
> discover, but is no longer a useful part of its feature set.

It's probably a good idea to consider such a move, but I'd rather
concentrate on updating discover* for the non-free/firmware thing first.

I'm making a note locally (but my to do list is ever-growing), but feel
free to file a bug report against src:debian-installer or d-i.debian.org
(where I keep infrastructure-related and cross-packages bug reports) to
make sure it's easily found by others.

Mraw,
KiBi.