Re: proofreading the installation-guide

Holger Wansing wrote:

>>> No, it's not just for German!
>>> It gives _all_ translators the possibility, to spell the releasename as
>>> they want in their language.
>>> I just used German and how it's used in German, to explain the principle.
>>>
>>> Not much translators use that possibility though.
>>
>> Such as?  There *aren't* any other languages that have mandatory
>> initial capitalisation on nouns (and even German allows exceptions for
>> "brandnames" like "das iPhone" or "xkcd").  There's not much else that
>> you could automate, so I'd be interested to know who else finds it
>> useful.
>
> A quick grep shows, that releasename-cap is used in:
> 	Korean
> 	Portuguese
> 	French
> 	Italian
> 	Czech
> 	German
>
> So guys, you are all wrong?

If they're just using it to capitalise a brandname that we've decided
is canonically uncapitalisable then it's just a question of whether
they're doing it wrong or whether the decision was wrong for English
in the first place.

But if you take a proper look at the results of that grep, you'll see
that every single case is a reflection of the same problem: there are
a couple of files where the English text has randomly switched to
using &releasename-cap;, and those hits are just the places where the
translators haven't changed it.

So once my proofreading sweep has finished* and all the translations
catch up, there should be no mentions of &releasename-cap; except in
places where it might as well be called &Veroeffentlichungsname;.

* assuming it ever gets started...