Re: proofreading the installation-guide

Holger Wansing wrote:
> No, not _all_ instances of &releasename; have to be capitalised in German,
> for example in URLs they will have to stay lowercase.
> But I can use &releasename; or &releasename-cap; in my translation,
> where &releasename; is used in English.

So all cases of &releasename-cap; in the English text are mistakes.
Really if it's only for use in German we should have called it
&Veroeffentlichungsname;!

But given that we're treating the name "jessie" as a special string
that's entitled to ignore the usual English capitalisation rules (so
that for instance it's still lowercase when it's sentence-initial),
it's not clear why this verbatim status wouldn't also licence it to
disregard the standard capitalisation rules of German.  Unless rules
stated in German are just intrinsically stricter!

Mind you, there's no obvious reason (apart from the stiffness of
developers' little fingers) for this habit of treating the lowercase
form of the release name as canonical in the first place.  "Jessie" is
after all named after something that had a capital J, and even the
announcement of the codename for Debian 8 spelled it that way:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2012/07/msg00004.html

Things would be a lot simpler if only we could standardise on the
*capitalised* form.  But then I suppose people would complain that
that isn't what's in /etc/os-release...