Re: Sparc removal

On Fri, 2015-07-31 at 04:34 +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
[...]
> I'm a bit unsure. If sparc ever comes back as sparc64, it might make
> sense to reuse some bits. But I'm not sure whether both archs would be
> close enough for that to happen, or if they would be different beasts
> like arm{el,hf} and arm64 are. I suppose the former might be true since
> it might just be about the number of bits in kernel/user-space, rather
> than a completely new arch.
[...]

We haven't supported actual 32-bit SPARCs for a long time; the last
release with 32-bit kernel images was etch.  So "only" userland would
change, and I believe the 32-bit and 64-bit modes for userland are not
that different.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Quantity is no substitute for quality, but it's the only one we've got.