Re: "No kernel modules were found" netboot d-i with custom reiser4 kernel.

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 8:00 AM, Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jose R R <Jose.r.r@metztli-it.com> (2015-07-29):
>> Niltze, all-
>>
>> Building kernel the 'Debian way':
>>
>> Replaced abi string at debian/config/defines (from default value of 2)
>> to a more descriptive string:
>>
>> [abi]
>> abiname: reiser4
>>
>> (guided by hint that debian devs sometimes set abiname string "trunk")
>>
>> Everything builds beautifully, especially UDEBs for modules/kernel
>> like couple shown below:
>> [...]
>>
>> 3.7M  kernel-image-4.0.0-reiser4-amd64-di_4.0.8-2_amd64.udeb
>> 34M   linux-image-4.0.0-reiser4-amd64_4.0.8-2_amd64.deb
>>
>> Once kernel build is finished, I place the approxiamately 54 generated
>> UDEBs at the installer/build/localudebs directory and modify
>> installer/build/config/amd64.cfg
>>
>> # The version of the kernel to use.
>> ## KERNELVERSION = $(LINUX_KERNEL_ABI)-amd64
>> KERNELVERSION = 4.0.0-reiser4-amd64
>> ## KERNELMAJOR = 2.6
>> KERNELMAJOR = 4.0
>> KERNELNAME = vmlinuz
>>
>> save modifications and execute command:
>> make build_netboot-gtk
>>
>> The resulting netboot d-i iso image uses the custom kernel to start
>> the Debian installation -- as can be verified by executing in an
>> alternate shell: uname -a:
>> Linux [host] 4.0.0-reiser4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.0.8-2 (2015-07-22)
>> x86_64 GNU/Linux;
>>
>> nevertheless stops at 'no kernel modules were found' and thus d-i can
>> not proceed further to install custom built kernel with reiser4
>> built-into-the-kernel support -- much less to detect/format a
>> disk/partition win Reiser4.
>>
>> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CK-ZehmUwAAjx-V.png:large
>>
>> Any insight provided will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> Stuff you put under localudebs/ is only used to replace/complement
> what's in the archive if something pulls it in. You probably want to
> add some packages to some list under build/pkg-lists.

According to the Debian Installer online reference <
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Modify/CustomKernel > it
suffices to place all the *.udebs at  build/localudebs directory.
There is no other example and/or guidance on how to go about
populating, say (from build/README)

* Anything listed in pkg-lists/local and pkg-lists/*/local is included in
  the image that is built. This is to provide an easy way to add extra
  udebs to a test image.

Thus, there is no indication where the installer will be picking up
the full 34M DEB linux-image-4.0.0-reiser4-amd64_4.0.8-2_amd64.deb so
as to be an option during the installation procedure.

> There's also a monolithic target you could use to bundle almost
> everything into your image. This is a bigger hammer though.

It fails:
fakeroot make build_monolithic
[...]
Makefile:637: recipe for target 'stamps/get_udebs-monolithic-stamp' failed
Makefile:284: recipe for target '_build' failed
Makefile:278: recipe for target 'build_monolithic' failed

> Mraw,
> KiBi.
Appreciate your reply.

Best Professional Regards.