Re: Future of ttf-cjk-compact

Hi Kibi and @debian-boot,

Thanks for your great work!

Well, I would like to drop ttf-cjk-compact rather than keeping in
debian-boot and VCS, and would like to call better solution.

Historically, ttf-cjk-compact was just temporary (...and nasty)
workaround to solve following situation;

- - There wasn't single font file to support all glyphs at that time.
  (unifont wasn't vector file, but was bitmap file.)
- - It was considered 'too big' to include complete Chinese, Japanese,
  and Korean (and maybe some other language's) font files in GUI
  installer.
- - GUI installer didn't have a capability to reload font file.

Things are changed, I hope. For example,

- - (Not sure,) but DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf (4.5MB, fonts-droid package)
  appears have enough glyphs we want to use in GUI installer.
- - skillful people may implement the font reloading logic.

At Wed, 15 Jul 2015 09:41:28 +0200,
Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> ttf-cjk-compact is one of the few packages officially maintained by
> debian-boot@ which wasn't under VCS, so I've taken the liberty of
> importing its history with git-import-dscs, and pushing it to the
> following location:
>   https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/d-i/ttf-cjk-compact.git
>
> I've added a few commits in the meanwhile, but I didn't try to upload it
> before the Stretch Alpha 1 release since I wasn't sure it was actually
> improving things/fixing issues. It might be easier to tell once this is
> implemented:
>   https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=791999
>

> I haven't added it to the .mrconfig file yet since I'm wondering whether
> we want to have it renamed to fonts-cjk-compact (mainly for consistency
> reasons), see:
>   https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=762054#10
>

> Also, instead of blindly trusting what's currently in the various svn or
> git repositories listed in the update script, it might be better to
> download the exact source packages from testing when we update this
> package. This might require more bandwidth than the current setup but
> should be more accurate, and make sure there's no glyph missing when
> versions in testing/sid vs. svn/git don't match. I'm likely the one
> going to perform uploads anyway as part of the d-i release process, so
> that shouldn't be an issue. ;)
>

> Finally, I'm not sure the list of packages is complete/up-to-date. For
> example, samba was listed there but po/* files are gone in git… Anyone
> knows how to double check that?

Thanks,
- --
Kenshi Muto