Re: On ddebs for udebs

On 2015-06-02 05:53, Christian PERRIER wrote:
Quoting Cyril Brulebois (kibi@debian.org):
Hi Niels,

Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> (2015-06-01):
> There is an existing experimental patch series for debhelper to have it
> automatically create "ddebs"[1][2].  Currently, it /also/ happens for
> udebs, which leads me to:
>
>  * Is it useful for you to have ddebs generated from udebs?

I don't think so.

The same stands for me.

Still, I haven't followed discussions about ddebs very closely : my
understanding of them is probably the same than Niels' knowledge of
udebs..:-). Still, I understand the basic concepts (providing debug
symobols and debug "stuff" in dedicated packages in a similar way to
what Ubuntu is, IIRC, doing in Launchpad).

And with that understanding, I don't really see how it could be
possible to use these in the D-I context.

There was https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=396365 about gdb providing a udeb, which has been closed with no action. Now we are dropping mklibs (I think?) so at least the libraries wouldn't be minified anymore. Without a debugger available the ddebs wouldn't help. If the solution is to rebuild the image with an extra gdb file, then I can also rebuild the individual udebs with nostrip enabled.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern