partman[-crypto/-lvm]: Use entire Encrypted Volume as file system

I'm wishing to use Debian-Installer to create a Debian (testing) installation with a full disk encryption scheme where the root partition is a file system directly atop the dm-crypt device.

As it stands, it appears the installer requires you to create a partition table on the Encrypted Volumes and does not allow using the entire device alone. I believe this feature was available in the past, though I could be mis-recalling. Either way, I was able to do this in the past and I'm pretty sure I haven't forgotten anything about what I did. I'm thinking recent changes to partman-lvm (as you cannot use crypto with guided partitioning without LVM) might have made this feature go away, but I have no specifics to point at (though I'd start with some of the loop device based logic, given a perusal of the bug reports).

Anyway, even if I cannot achieve these results with partman, I'm wondering if I can do this all manually via the CLI and effectively bypass the partman part of the process (rather than creating my own .udeb to do the work for me). I believe all I need to do is:

1) Setup encryption and file systems to my liking.
2) Mount the file system hierarchy under /target.
3) Create /target/etc/fstab and /target/etc/crypttab.
4) Kick-off the regular bits after partman.

Is the above correct? Is step #4 as simple as choosing the next step from main-menu?

On a related note, I believe the partman-crypto part of the partitioner should allow for selecting 512 bit key sizes, as the default cipher (aes-xts-plain64) effectively halves the chosen key size. This ought to be a straight-forward patch.

Thanks,

--
Nate