Re: Out-of-tree kernel module udeb

Hi,

Aron Xu <aron@debian.org> (2015-05-17):
> [Not on list, please keep me posted.]

[done]

> I'm wondering whether d-i team would like to accept out-of-tree kernel
> module udeb for certain features, for example ZFS support? And if the
> answer is yes, what's the best way of doing it?

I wasn't actively involved with debian-boot back then but from what I've
seen through debian-release at the time, o-o-t modules were a huge pain
to handle. I'd rather not have to deal with such things again.

> Two years ago we had a GSoC project to provide ZFS on Linux
> integration, and after that licensing problem blocked the code's
> actual inclusion. As written in one of the recent Bits from the DPL,
> the issue is in much better shape and I believe it's time to discuss
> how to move on with the technical part.
>
> At the moment only spl is available in the archive, using dkms, and
> for zfs it's similar in the way of packaging though not uploaded yet.
> What we have (code ready to go) is a mechanism that detects/gets
> definition of a current KVERS and generate a source package with
> dependencies and binary packages with names corresponding to it.
>
> What do you guys think?

My personal stance on kernel related things would be “upstream first”.
If it ain't going to be merged into mainline, or at least accepted as a
patchset (like e.g. aufs3 or rt in wheezy) for src:linux, I'm not sure
we want to support that.

Cc-ing debian-kernel@ to see what they think.

Mraw,
KiBi.