Out-of-tree kernel module udeb

[Not on list, please keep me posted.]

Hi,

I'm wondering whether d-i team would like to accept out-of-tree kernel
module udeb for certain features, for example ZFS support? And if the
answer is yes, what's the best way of doing it?

Two years ago we had a GSoC project to provide ZFS on Linux
integration, and after that licensing problem blocked the code's
actual inclusion. As written in one of the recent Bits from the DPL,
the issue is in much better shape and I believe it's time to discuss
how to move on with the technical part.

At the moment only spl is available in the archive, using dkms, and
for zfs it's similar in the way of packaging though not uploaded yet.
What we have (code ready to go) is a mechanism that detects/gets
definition of a current KVERS and generate a source package with
dependencies and binary packages with names corresponding to it.

What do you guys think?

Best,
Aron