Re: debian-installer: dropping library reduction pass?

Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net> (2015-05-13):
> After this positive answer, I have done more checks and found the
> following possible issues:
> - After this change the DNS-323 (and thus CH3SNAS) will only have 500kB
>   left for a future initrd size increase. If we go over the limit we can
>   switch to xz compression.

I suppose this only has to be supported by the kernel? Will flash-kernel
(or other similar tools) handle such a switch transparently?

> - The sparc TFTP netboot image seems to be limited to 10MB (according to
>   a comment in the sources) and is already using xz compression to stay
>   below this limit. That said the built image is bigger than this size
>   for 1.5 years (12MB currently) and it seems nobody realised or
>   complained.

This seems slightly incorrect: I know about that 10MB limit even though
I don't know anything about sparc. ISTR this was reported but never
acted on.

> I am therefore going to replace mklibs by mklibs-copy in git. It's a
> small change that can be easily reverted if needed. In a few weeks if
> nothing is reported as broken, I'll start removing mklibs completely.

It would probably make sense to release an alpha with the mklibs change,
and waiting a bit before removing mklibs entirely. Early releases aren't
tested as fully as RCs or final releases, but I suspect they might get a
bit more testing than just dailies/weeklies.

Mraw,
KiBi.