Re: debian-installer: dropping library reduction pass?

Hi,

Thanks all for the feedback.

On 2015-05-10 23:37, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net> (2015-05-10):
> > Any comment or opinion?
>
> I'm pretty sure you know exotic archs better than I do, so if arm*, mips*
> etc. are not going to take a direct hit with this change, and if mitigating
> it through better compression is OK, let's implement your proposed changes.

After this positive answer, I have done more checks and found the
following possible issues:
- After this change the DNS-323 (and thus CH3SNAS) will only have 500kB
  left for a future initrd size increase. If we go over the limit we can
  switch to xz compression.
- The sparc TFTP netboot image seems to be limited to 10MB (according to
  a comment in the sources) and is already using xz compression to stay
  below this limit. That said the built image is bigger than this size
  for 1.5 years (12MB currently) and it seems nobody realised or
  complained.

I am therefore going to replace mklibs by mklibs-copy in git. It's a
small change that can be easily reverted if needed. In a few weeks if
nothing is reported as broken, I'll start removing mklibs completely.
It might take some time to remove it fully as it seems some hacks are
well hidden.

Aurelien