Re: Network installer lacks Netgear wifi support

Hello Stefan,

Thanks for the write-up, I only had a vague idea of what usb-modeswitch
was, and it helped getting a clear view.

Stefan Lippers-Hollmann <s.l-h@gmx.de> (2015-05-10):
> > If you would add Netgear wireless support to 8.0, 7.x and 6.x, I'm
> > sure many users would appreciate it.
>
> I can't speak for release and d-i teams, but adding a new udeb for
> usb-modeswitch and d-i integration for already released Debian
> versions doesn't sound very likely. However you can ask the
> usb-modeswitch maintainers to support this for stretch/ Debian 9~, by
> filing a bugreport against src:usb-modeswitch and suggesting them to
> add a udeb to their package.

I haven't spent much time thinking about this but it seems fair to sum
it up this way: I'm happy to consider any changes to d-i for stable that
fall into the “reasonable” category. It's hard to say anything about a
potential usb-modeswitch addition (to jessie) without having the work
done in unstable already, but the extra udeb(s) are indeed somewhat
worrisome. The fact that hardware manufacturers are playing the dumb
“let's reuse the same IDs with different chipsets” game isn't much
encouraging either.

All in all, it looks like we aren't exactly on the “reasonable” side
with this topic.

I'm adding the usb-modeswitch maintainer to the recipients of this mail
to possibly get some comment from his side (I know you're on this list
but let's not rely on that. :) More context in [1,2]).

 1. https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2015/05/msg00291.html
 2. https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2015/05/msg00293.html

Mraw,
KiBi.