Re: Network installer lacks Netgear wifi support

Hi

On 2015-05-09, JohnT wrote:
> I bought a newer 64-bit pc to replace this old 32-bit system and want to
> install Debian on it. I knew that 6.0.10 didn't seem to have Netgear
> wireless-through-USB support, so I tried 7.6.0 and 8.0 and found that they
> didn't recognize the Netgear hardware either. The 8.0 installer's hardware

There is no such thing as a "Netgear wireless-through-USB" device, there
are dozens withs vastly different internals. Therefore you'd need to
specify your particular device much more accurate before anyone can
help you. Even giving the model name is often inconclusive, as multiple
vendors (including Netgear) tend to switch horses between different
hardware revisions of the same model, but "lsusb" combined with the
model name might give an approximation (even that isn't 100% sure, as
multiple vendors tend to re-use USB IDs for different hardware).

> detection reported my wireless device as a mass storage device, as I
> recall. Netgear USB wireless devices have been around for several years
> and are commonly used. I bought mine at Walmart.

Several USB wlan cards actually do contain a tiny usb-storage partition,
which often contains drivers for windows and sometimes also configuration
data. These devices need a modeswitch to turn of the usb-storage
partition to free the USB endpoint and then turn on the wlan
functionality. Some drivers can do this modeswitch on their own, without
userspace assisting, like e.g. ar5523, zd1211rw et al - others need a
usb-modeswitch to accomplish this in userspace instead (e.g. some
ar9170/ carl9170 devices).

> I found that Ubuntu works with my Netgear device, though I am having
> problems finding a mirror that still has that "longterm support" version

The usb-modeswitch package doesn't provide a udeb, to hook itself into
d-i (the Debian installer), therefore affected wlan cards requiring
this kind of special handholding won't be supported automatically (or
at all for the time being) - you might be lucky by trying eject on the
usb-storage device node though; make sure to have the needed firmware
available before trying this (manual) mode-switch.

> available. And Mageia 4.1 works fine with Netgear, but there are some
> things in their software selection I don't like. I would rather be using
> just a simple upgrade of 6.0.10, which I find very satisfactory in most
> respects, better than 7.x.

I'm rather confident that the installed Debian system will support
your device just fine - once you install its firmware and the
usb-modeswitch package; debian-live based live media might as well,
provided you install usb-modeswitch and firmware before connecting
your wlan card.

What won't work right now is doing a (partial-) netinstall using such a
wlan card.

> If you would add Netgear wireless support to 8.0, 7.x and 6.x, I'm sure
> many users would appreciate it.

I can't speak for release and d-i teams, but adding a new udeb for
usb-modeswitch and d-i integration for already released Debian
versions doesn't sound very likely. However you can ask the
usb-modeswitch maintainers to support this for stretch/ Debian 9~,
by filing a bugreport against src:usb-modeswitch and suggesting them
to add a udeb to their package.

Disclaimer: While I have access to several wlan cards doing an
internal modeswitch inside the kernel module, I don't own any
requiring external help via usb-modeswitch myself and therefore
won't be able to test this.

Regards
	Stefan Lippers-Hollmann