Re: Packages to install be default for Stretch

On May 05, Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@debian.org> wrote:

> I would like to re-evaluate what we change by default for Stretch, that
Me too.

Let's look at the problem from a different point of view. This is what
I remove when building cloud images for my employer's infrastructure:

dpkg --purge \
  discover discover-data libdiscover2 installation-report laptop-detect \
  nano tasksel tasksel-data task-english acpi acpid acpi-support-base \
  isc-dhcp-client isc-dhcp-common eject \
  nfacct libmnl0 libnetfilter-acct1 emacsen-common libsigc++-2.0-0c2a \
  pciutils usbutils libpci3 libusb-1.0-0 \
  dictionaries-common iamerican ibritish ienglish-common ispell wamerican

(And I wonder where emacsen-common comes from...)

Maybe hw-detect should differentiate between phisical and virtual
targets?

So, another obvious candidate for demotion are ispell and friends.

>  * It would be nice to have "init" demoted from required to
>    important: it is not needed in environments like (buildd) chroots.
We systemd maintainers strongly agree.

>  * Same for question for "dmidecode": could the priority be lowered to
>    "standard"?
I think that this is fine, as long as it is still available in d-i.
But laptop-detect (which I do not understand why it is being installed
on something that is very obviously not a laptop) depends on it.

>     - logrotate, rsyslog:
>       -> tempted to demote to "standard", but maybe only in buster
Maybe rsyslog, but I do not think that we can do without logrotate even
if nobody looks at the logs.
OTOH, why should it be explicitly installed? Everything that uses it
already depends on it.

>     - nfacct:
>       No idea why this is at Priority: important.
>       -> demote to "optional"
Even extra... This is a very niche package and I have no idea why it is
being installed everywhere!

>     - dnsutils:
>       bind9-host provides a (limited) DNS query interface. No need to
>       install both bind9-host and dnsutils by default.
>       -> demote to "optional"
I disagree about this one: the installed size is only 374 kB and host
is not really a replacement for dig, which is invaluable when you
actually need to troubleshoot DNS issues (even just looking at the
difference between NXDOMAIN and SERVFAIL when a domain does not
resolve, or even worse DNSSEC issues...).

>     - bsd-mailx, exim4*, procmail, mutt:
>       Often not useful on desktop systems, has popular alternatives,
>       probably not needed in chroot/container environments either.
>       -> demote to "optional"
Everything that needs them already depends on them.
Also, can we finally replace exim with postfix as the default for
stretch? :-)

>     - mlocate:
>       Rarely used (AFAIK).
>       -> demote to "optional"
I think that it is useful enough that is deserves to be standard.

>     - w3m:
>       I think text-mode browsers are not worth including in the default
>       install. It is *very* rare to not have another computer to use.
Agreed.

>     - whois:
>       Too special to include in standard install.
>       -> demote to "optional"
As the maintainer I think that I have to agree...

--
ciao,
Marco