Re: Packages to install be default for Stretch

On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 9:45:09 PM EEST, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
[ Please send replies only to boot@ ]

Cross-checking with popcon old (installed but not used) data

from: http://popcon.debian.org/by_old

This won't catch daemons etc, or take in account use in script. But if it ends up in the top 100, I say it gets installed too often.

 * Packages currently at "important":

    - netcat-traditional:
      No IPv6 support...

#2 on old!

    - traceroute

#3 on old - I used to use it more, but these days with firewalls it doesn't strike as very useful.
     - wget

#54 on old - surprisingly high considering it's use in scripts.
 * Packages currently at "standard":
    - aptitude, aptitude-common:

#30 on old

    - bc

#51 on old (used by kernel build)

dc:

#43 on old

    - dnsutils:

#29 on old

    - bsd-mailx

#74 on old

    - procmail

#44 on old

     - mutt

#76 on old

    - ftp:
      Brr, ftp.

#21 on old
    - info, texinfo

#15, #21 on old

    - m4:

#19 on old

    - patch:

#59 on old

    - time:
      'time' is a builtin in at least bash and zsh.

#13 on old

    - w3m:
      I think text-mode browsers are not worth including in the default
      install. It is *very* rare to not have another computer to use.
      Plus in the worst case the package is still just an apt-get away.

Oops, in the last mail I said I wouldn't insist web browser for standard. I was not aware one was already.
#75 on old

    - whois:

#36 on old

From these I'd only is wget - I've occasionally been stuck without admin
priviledges and nothing to download files with. Because of this I know I can implement a crude wget in a few lines of bash[1], so I can work around my way, but that's hardly common knowledge.

[1] https://kos.to/mini-wget

Riku