Re: Packages to install be default for Stretch

On Tue, May 05, 2015 at 08:45:09PM +0200, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
>     - less:
>       Not needed in chroot/container environments.
>       -> demote to "standard"

I have never seen less installed by default in a chroot.  I have always
had to ask for it (less and vim are probably the first two things I
always have to install in chroot if I intend to deal with files in it).
Now it may be I always make chroots as variant=buildd though which might
be affecting things.  I am certainly used to having to install it if I
need it.

>     - bc, dc:
>       Rarely used (IMHO).
>       -> demote to "optional"

I use bc lots, but I don't mind installing it when I want it.  It probably
is rarely used.

>     - dnsutils:
>       bind9-host provides a (limited) DNS query interface. No need to
>       install both bind9-host and dnsutils by default.
>       -> demote to "optional"

Well the host command is simple to use.  I see nothing in dnsutils that
is easy to use although I imagine some people need dig, but then they
are probably running a dns server themselves in that case.  So dnsutils
not being there would seem like a a non issue to me.  No host command
could be annoying but I don't think you are suggesing getting rid of
bind9-host.

>     - w3m:
>       I think text-mode browsers are not worth including in the default
>       install. It is *very* rare to not have another computer to use.
>       Plus in the worst case the package is still just an apt-get away.
>       -> demote to "optional"

I always install elinks or lynx or links2 or something else.  w3m is
too confusing to work with. :)

> Any comments and/or suggestion for other changes?

I (as a very long time user) pretty much think it makes sense.

--
Len Sorensen