Re: initramfs-tools: update-initramfs fails with btrfs (was: no cryptsetup in initrd when btrfs selected)

Control: severity -1 normal
Control: clone -1 -2
Control: retitle -1 update-initramfs in chroot fails with btrfs
Control: tag -1 moreinfo
Control: reassign -2 partman-crypto
Control: retitle -2 no cryptsetup in initrd when btrfs selected

btrfs is still not a recommended filesystem, so downgrading this to
normal.

On Wed, 2015-02-11 at 03:04 +0000, jnqnfe wrote:
> control: reassign -1 initramfs-tools
> control: retitle -1 initramfs-tools: fails to work with btrfs
> control: severity -1 grave
>
> I think that my issues might all stem from initramfs-tools, so
> reassigning.

I don't think so - other packages hook into initramfs-tools and are
quite capable of breaking it.

> Firstly, I cannot run update-initramfs within a chroot via a live CD
> against this btrfs based install because it gets confused about where
> root is (see original cry for help), and which is at least a bug
> against initramfs-tools in it's own right anyway.

What are the error messages?

> Secondly, the other issue I believe is due to the initrd created by
> debian-installer missing at least cryptsetup; I believe
> debian-installer runs update-initramfs towards the end, so perhaps
> this is where debian-installer is trying to add things like cryptsetup
> to initrd, and it is actually silently failing here due to same issue
> above.

initramfs-tools doesn't make that decision - cryptsetup does.  And if
cryptsetup isn't installed or configured properly, that's the fault of
partman-crypto.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
When in doubt, use brute force. - Ken Thompson