Re: Suggestion for the installer, when non-free firmwares are needed

Thanks Stephan for your report/suggestion, and Ben for the redirect to -boot@.

Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> (2015-01-27):
> On Tue, 2015-01-27 at 03:26 +0100, Stephan Dörner wrote:
> > Here’s a suggestion: Let the installer display a code, which the user
> > can enter on debian.org - it then automatically shows you the needed
> > files and let you download them instead of mentioning cryptic file
> > names like rtl8168e-3.fw and so on.
>
> Type that filename in at packages.debian.org and you'll get
> <https://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=rtl8168e-3.fw&mode=path&suite=stable&arch=any>:
>
>         You have searched for paths that end with rtl8168e-3.fw in suite
>         wheezy, all sections, and all architectures. Found 1 results.
>
>         File
>         Packages
>         /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168e-3.fw
>         firmware-realtek
>
> You can also find this by running 'apt-cache search rtl8168e-3.fw' on an
> existing Debian installation.
>
> Or you can use an installation image that has all the non-free firmware
> packages included.

This reminds me I once wondered whether to include a file=>package
mapping in the installer so that we could tell users which package(s)
they might be interested in. It shouldn't be too hard to automate
something around "apt-file search /lib/firmware" that would be updated
once in a while.

Thoughts?

Mraw,
KiBi.