Re: Suggestion for the installer, when non-free firmwares are needed

[Your message was more appropriate for the debian-boot list than
debian-devel.]

On Tue, 2015-01-27 at 03:26 +0100, Stephan Dörner wrote:
> Dear Debian developers,
>
> I just installed Debian 8 (testing) on a PC of mine with the graphical
> installer and the setup ran really smooth - with one exception: It was
> a big hassle to find and download the unfree firmware for my Wifi
> adapter, which I needed for the installation.
>
> Here’s a suggestion: Let the installer display a code, which the user
> can enter on debian.org - it then automatically shows you the needed
> files and let you download them instead of mentioning cryptic file
> names like rtl8168e-3.fw and so on.

Type that filename in at packages.debian.org and you'll get
<https://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=rtl8168e-3.fw&mode=path&suite=stable&arch=any>:

        You have searched for paths that end with rtl8168e-3.fw in suite
        wheezy, all sections, and all architectures. Found 1 results.

        File
        Packages
        /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168e-3.fw
        firmware-realtek

You can also find this by running 'apt-cache search rtl8168e-3.fw' on an
existing Debian installation.

Or you can use an installation image that has all the non-free firmware
packages included.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
When in doubt, use brute force. - Ken Thompson