Re: [d-i manual for armel] Dead links for downloading installation files

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 11:22:13PM +0100, Holger Wansing wrote:

> Hi Karsten,
>
> recently you have worked on the installer manual regarding
> arm devices.
> In the manual for armel, there are currently 3 dead links
> for downloading installation files.
>
> The latest builds of the english d-i manual for armel
> (by Jenkins) can be found on
> https://jenkins.debian.net/view/d-i_manual/job/d-i_manual_en_html/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/html/en.armel/ch04s02.html#where-files
>
> In the last chapter "4.2.1.6. Armhf Multiplatform Installation Files"
> the links
> .../images/netboot/
> .../images/device-tree/
> .../images/hd-media/
> are 404.
> Those files don't exist for armel, but for armhf.
>
> Does that chapter not apply for armel ?
> Would you take a look?

Hello,

until now, no conditionals to explicitly distinguish between
armel and armhf (and for that matter also arm64) had been defined
in the installation-guide build system, so the links in the
"Where to Find Installation Images" section were included on all
arm architectures.  Unfortunately the links themselves are
dynamically generated with the package architecture (armel/armhf)
in the path, which makes the armel links invalid in the armhf
build and the armhf links invalid in the armel build.

I have now added explicit conditionals for armel, armhf and arm64
and have adjusted the conditions for the image links accordingly.

JFTR, the follwing conditionals are available now:

- <arch="arm">   matches any of armel, armhf and arm64 (as before)
- <arch="armel"> matches only armel
- <arch="armhf"> matches only armhf
- <arch="arm64"> matches only arm64

I have also documented that in doc/cheatsheet.xml.

The last armhf link (.../images/hd-media/) is technically correct
but nonetheless currenly unresolvable because the hd-media
support for armhf was only added after the d-i beta 2 release
(which is currently on the ftp servers).  This problem will solve
itself with the release of d-i beta 3 :-).

Regards,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der