Re: Please add a d-i.debian.org pseudo package

Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> (2014-09-13):
> Control: submitter -1 Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org>
> Control: tag -1 moreinfo
>
> On Sat, 13 Sep 2014, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> > Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> (2014-09-07):
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > I'm wondering whether it would make sense to ask owner@bugs.debian.org
> > > for a d-i.debian.org pseudo package which could be used to track
> > > bugs/proposed changes for d-i's infrastructure. This includes but is
> > > not limited to: the various scripts generating reports on
> > > d-i.debian.org, scripts used to manage i18n/l10n bits, or various
> > > cross-package tasks.
> >
> > Dear owner,
> >
> > could you please introduce a d-i.debian.org pseudo package with
> > debian-boot@lists.debian.org as its maintainer?
>
> I can; can you provide the text for this psuedopackage's description

Looking at the existing descriptions[1], I'd go for something like:

  d-i.debian.org -- Issues regarding the d-i.debian.org service and general Debian Installer tasks.

 1. https://www.debian.org/Bugs/pseudo-packages.en

>                                                                      as
> well as an example of a few bugs which will be filed there? [The latter
> is mainly so that I know that the psuedopackage will be used; they don't
> have to yet be filed in the BTS... a few links to messages on -boot
> which are bugs which would have been filed is good enough.]

Sure, things like this would have been tracked there:
  http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/d-i/trunk/scripts/testing-summary/gen-summary?r1=69167&r2=69316
  https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2014/09/msg00406.html

More needed tweaks to scripts there (running on dillon = d-i.d.o) would
be documented there, like not sending broken kernel ABI bump
notifications mails when the remote host is down:
| May 31 Linux kernel wa (0.3K) Linux kernel ABI bump in testing: from 3.14-1 to (none)
| May 31 Linux kernel wa (0.3K) Linux kernel ABI bump in unstable: from 3.14-1 to (none)
| May 31 Linux kernel wa (0.3K) Linux kernel ABI bump in experimental: from 3.15-rc7 to (none)
| Jun 01 Linux kernel wa (0.3K) Linux kernel ABI bump in testing: from (none) to 3.14-1
| Jun 01 Linux kernel wa (0.3K) Linux kernel ABI bump in unstable: from (none) to 3.14-1
| Jun 01 Linux kernel wa (0.3K) Linux kernel ABI bump in experimental: from (none) to 3.15-rc7

and also when the version in experimental disappears because it got
uploaded/superceded in unstable.

We could have used it to track this instead of relying on my having the
mail flagged in my maildir:
  https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2014/09/msg00423.html

We could also use it to track the fact that serving this file properly
(announced as utf-8) would be nice:
  http://d-i.debian.org/translations.txt

Cross package tasks could include reviewing the fonts package (ttf-* vs
fonts-* aren't using the same namespace yet, at least as far as udebs
are concerned).

The #740151 bug against ttf-cjk-compact-udeb might involve some infra
check and/or changes and it would make sense to have it tracked (either
reassigned to or using a blocking bug against d-i.debian.org).

I'm also tempted to open a bug report when preparing each d-i release
and using blocks to keep track of bugs we want to get fixed before a
given release.

I hope this illustrates what was quoted in my initial mail. Please let
me know if you need more examples. Having given all these examples, it
makes me feel like “debian-installer” would be slightly better, but it's
already a real package. “d-i” would work too but I guess having a well
identified “d-i.debian.org” name would avoid any confusion, even if all
bugs aren't about this actual, particular host/service.

Mraw,
KiBi.