Re: About Debian installer and UEFI / Windoze 8

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:19:15AM -0500, Enrique Pascalin wrote:

> Hi everyone. About Debian installer and UEFI / Windoze 8 problems.
[snip]
> 3-Some tutorials I've seen, mention some stuff about THE NEED to go inside
> Windoze 8 and change some configuration. (Which really wonders me, is really
> there no chance to keep things between the user, the installer and the Bios?)

These tutorials probably relate to the Windows 8 "quick boot" feature,
which is enabled by default on many OEM Windows 8 installations.

"Quick boot" means that Windows 8 does not do a real shutdown and a real
cold boot afterwards when ordered to shut down/reboot, but only does
something resembling a suspend to disk to reduce the "boot" time.  As far as
I understand the issue, with "quick boot" enabled Windows 8 seems to save
the state of filesystems in the hibernation data and does not check whether
the state of the filesystems is really still the same upon the next "boot".
As long as Windows 8 is the only operating system on the machine, this
works, but it can result in problems when you have a dual boot setup in
which another operating system accesses the same filesystems as Windows 8
does.  In that case the real state of the filesystem is different from what
Windows 8 believes it to be after the "boot" and therefore can cause
filesystem corruption upon further write accesses to the filesystem.
Therefore to avoid filesystem corruption the "quick boot" feature has to be
disabled in a dual boot setup and this is only possible from within Windows
8.  This is not a Linux-specific problem but occurs with any other operating
system accessing the same filesystems as a Windows 8 when "quick boot" is
enabled.

HTH,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der