Re: About Debian installer and UEFI / Windoze 8

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:19:15AM -0500, Enrique Pascalin wrote:
> Hi everyone. About Debian installer and UEFI / Windoze 8 problems.
>
> (In a nutshell) Links or resources for problems with machines that come
> with Windoze 8/8.1 and are hard to install Debian 7.4
>
> I have no problems because I very carefully select my hardware and I always
> demand computers without OS preinstalled. However, I try (over several
> forums and groups) to help new users to install Debian on their own
> machines. But now, I believe my knowledge is rusty when they tell me about
> new machines with UEFI / Secure boot and Windoze 8 preinstalled. So, I want
> to know:
>
> 1-If it is possible to bypass this problems with just the installer

If the machine shipped with 64bit Windows 8.x and has a windows logo,
then secureboot would be on, and there is nothing the installer can do
to change that.

> 2-If Bios access and modification are required, exactly which options
> should be modified to install Debian 7.4 over the entire hard drive or dual
> boot with current OS

You would have to turn off secureboot.

> 3-Some tutorials I've seen, mention some stuff about THE NEED to go inside
> Windoze 8 and change some configuration. (Which really wonders me, is
> really there no chance to keep things between the user, the installer and
> the Bios?)

No idea, I don't want to try Windows 8.  The UI is awful.  I will stick
to dual booting with Windows 7.  My understanding is that Windows 8 won't
be upset that you turn off secureboot, but maybe I have misuderstood.

--
Len Sorensen