Re: Proposed changes to installer for armhf

On Sun, 2014-04-20 at 12:32 +0200, K. Merker wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 07:50:07PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
>
> > Now that armhf only has a single kernel flavour I think we can simplify
> > the installer setup a bit.
> >
> > Firstly by moving the armmp subarch to the top level and secondly by
> > dropping the version from the kernel filename. Leading to
> >         installer-armhf/201403XX/images/netboot/initrd.gz
> >         installer-armhf/201403XX/images/netboot/vmlinuz
> > rather than
> >         installer-armhf/current/images/armmp/netboot/initrd.gz
> >         installer-armhf/current/images/armmp/netboot/vmlinuz-3.13-1-armmp
> > (similar for netboot-gtk and network-console).
>
> Hello,
>
> gitorious seems to have problems at the moment (trying to access
> the web interface gives "bad gateway", running git clone gives
> timeouts).  I therefore cannot look at your repository, so maybe
> this is actually a non-issue or handled by your changes, but just
> to be sure: AFAICS we still have two armhf kernel flavours, armmp
> and armmp-lpae, so we still need the subdirectory structure,
> don't we?

No, the installer is non-LPAE only and any system which supports LPAE
must also support non-LPAE (E is for "extension" here).

The installer will install an LPAE kernel in the target system if the
hardware is capable.

This is similar to x86 where we only provide a single lowest common
denominator kernel (lets ignore the Xen special case) but install
something more appropriate into the target system.

Ian.