Re: d-i: How is the installer for the bootloader called?

Hi Cyril,

On 04/10/2014 10:52 PM, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Helge Deller <deller@gmx.de> (2014-04-10):
>> The udebs for partman-palo and palo-installer are included on the CDs.
>> But during installation, those don't seem to be called and/or
>> installed.  Maybe someone here on the list can give me a hint,
>> how/when the debian partitioner (or who else?) calls which bootloader
>> is being installed? Any hint here would be great!  Are trace files
>> written somewhere, which would enable me to debug this?
>
> /var/log/syslog might be your friend, as usual.

Cool - I didn't looked there yet.

> Anyway, I had some
> traces with anna/libdi in debug mode, and it appears packages taking
> care of bootloader-related stuff have “Provides: bootable-system”,
> which finish-install depends on. There might be some “isinstallable”
> script that needs doing the right thing for your package to be
> considered a valid candidate.

Ok, I finally resolved it with your hints!

A isinstallable script was not necessary (the palo packages build on hppa only anyway).
But the main problem was, that both packages (partman-palo and palo-installer)
were not available in the archive. It seems anna only looked into the repo at
debian-ports which doesn't contain those. As such the “Provides: bootable-system”
was only provided by the nobootloader package and gave me that error.

I fixed it by cloning the debian-ports archive to http://mkhppa3.esiee.fr/debian/
and adding those two packages to that repo. Now, when I instructed the debian-installer
to install from this repo, everything worked and the palo bootloader got installed.
I've now put the fully working installation medias for debian parisc linux here:
http://mkhppa3.esiee.fr/debian-installcd/

That said, what's really missing for me to be able to provide install medias which
can install directly from debian-ports.org is, that those two packages get back into
the debian unstable archive. They have been moved to the attic in the git repos in the past.
Any chance that they can get back into the normal distribution again?
Of course I'm willing to become the maintainer of those packages (and will send some patches soon).

Helge