Re: Providing (armhf) u-boot images together with d-i images?

On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 12:27:29PM -0600, Robert Nelson wrote:
> Well from:
> http://www.ti.com/lit/pdf/swpu249
>
> SWPU249AB OMAP543x Technical Reference Manual
>
> (non public, so you have to register with ti, etc..)
>
> Page 5959:
>
> <quote>
> 28.3.7.6.4 Read Sector Procedure
> The contents of an eMMC or SD card may be formatted as raw binary
> (referred to as Raw(UDA) or within
> a FAT file system. The ROM Code reads out sectors from raw image or
> the booting file within the file
> system and boots from it.
>
> • Raw mode
> In Raw(UDA) mode, an image can be at one of the four consecutive
> locations in the main area: offset
> 0x0 (0 KiB)/0x20000 (128 KiB)/0x40000 (256 KiB)/0x60000 (384 KiB). For
> this reason, the size of a
> booting image must not exceed 128 KiB. However, a device with an image
> greater than 128 KiB can
> be flash starting at one of the aforementioned locations. Therefore,
> the ROM code does not check the
> image size. The only drawback is that the image crosses the subsequent
> image boundary. Raw mode
> is detected by reading sectors 0, 256, 512, and 768. The content of
> these sectors is verified for the
> presence of a TOC structure. For a GP device, a GP header must be
> located at the beginning of the
> booting image, as described in Section 28.3.8.2, Configuration Header.
> Image data is read directly
> from continuous sectors of a card. If raw mode is not detected, file
> system mode is assumed.
> </quote>
>
> PS... this dd locations also work for the upcoming AM572x
> BeagleBoard-x15. (personally tested on the alpha boards)
>
> http://www.elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoard-X15
>
> So all:
>
> omap4
> omap5
> am335x
> am43xx
> am57x

Does it work to have a partition table and to have the u-boot code raw
at 128KiB?  I was under the impression that didn't work, but did not
try it.  I should give it a try sometime.

Of course the documentation also said the partition table had to be DOS
style, yet a GPT works fine too (which is nice at least).

--
Len Sorensen