Re: debian-installer: Use GeoIP support in installer

On Wed, 2014-07-23 at 18:46 +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 07:56:52PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> >(Not posting to the bug, because this is not GeoIP.)
> >
> >Has anyone looked into whether the EFI PlatformLang variable is at all
> >useful?
> >
> >Windows 7 does not appear to use it, though I think Windows 8 may do.
> >If Windows uses it, it's probably going to be a fairly good indicator of
> >the locale the computer was sold in, which would be a good starting
> >point.
>
> Curious - have you ever seen this set to anything useful? Maybe I'm
> just too cynical, but I'd expect to see it set to one of <blank>,
> en_US, or zh_TW regardless of where a machine ends up being
> sold... :-)

*If* Windows uses it then I would expect top-tier OEMs to set it
appropriately.

The setup program on my UEFI-booting system (ⓒ  2012 AMI) has a language
setting which affects both its own localisation and this variable.
Currently most of our x86 desktop users have to run the firmware setup
program to disable Secure Boot, so I would expect a fair proportion to
have gone through language selection before running the installer.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Absolutum obsoletum. (If it works, it's out of date.) - Stafford Beer