Re: init-select

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 4:16 AM, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> Or how would you ensure that
> while the user can easily switch the init system, when doing so half of
> the daemons installed won't start because they don't support the
> alternative. And if he switches back, the other half does not start
> because the only support the other alternative. IMO the hard problem is
> mostly about which systems must be supported by all packages.
> init-select does not help to solve this.

I completely agree that is entirely outside the scope of the problem
init-select is meant to solve.  Getting the individual init systems
into a fully usable state is ultimately the responsibility of the
various teams working on their favorite init.

>> I've set the maintainer to debian-boot now in the hope that this
>> proposal sounds reasonable.  There is of course more work to do, which
>> is documented in a TODO file in the source, which will make the
>> package better, but the existing functionality, I think, is already
>> useful.  I can switch inits on a whim in seconds now.
>
> I don't see why the installer team should be in any better position to
> choose the default init system for Debian than any other team. At least
> since I'm involved (~ 10 years) the mailinglist name for the installer
> was a bit of a  misnomer. The team has nothing to do with "everyday"
> booting of the system. It probably comes from the fact that the
> installer before d-i was called boot-floppies.

For the same reason that the installer team reluctantly chooses the
default desktop environment: that is the first path which the user
actually needs to make a choice (or non-choice of course).

Plus I think the project very much respects the unbiased
decision-making process of the d-i team.  This is why the TC decision
will be troublesome: there was no way to keep bias and politicization
out of the process, so a lot of the project will ultimately not
respect the decision.

Best wishes,
Mike